Birth is a journey.
Birth begins long before the contractions start. From the moment you learn you are pregnant (or even before), you begin to prepare. You find a care provider. You read pregnancy books. You might research baby gear, start prenatal classes, adjust your diet and get more rest. You imagine what birth will bring.
Along the way, questions will arise:
Can I eat this? Is this [symptom] normal? How will I know when labour has started? What if my water breaks? When do I go to the hospital? What will happen once I get there? Can I handle the pain? How is my life going to change? Will I be a good mother?
Doctor's visits can feel too rushed to have all of your questions answered and the internet can be a mire of conflicting information. Wouldn't it be nice to have someone walk this journey with you?
It helps to have a guide.
As True North Doulas, we are familiar with the terrain ahead. We are here to help you make a plan. We are here to answer your questions without delay, as they arise. We are a familiar face who will stay with you and your partner (if you have one) throughout labour, guiding you to find comfort and support when you need it the most. We help you navigate the medical system and remind you of your options, particularly if your birth plan goes off-track. We are here to help you read the signs.
We are here for you.
True North Doulas offer smart, compassionate and flexible birth support, tailored to your individual preferences and needs. We aim to help you have the best birth possible, however YOU define "best." Our clients receive:
- 24 hour on-call phone/text/email support to answer any questions or concerns they might have;
- 2-3 prenatal meetings so that we may get to know you better and and help you explore your options so that you arrive at your birth feeling confident.
- Continuous labour support from the time you need us to come (usually at home) until ~2 hours after the baby is born;
- Breastfeeding help, both in the hospital and at home;
- 1-2 postnatal visits to help you revisit your birth and to make sure you have what you need to thrive.
Whether this is your first journey or your tenth, we want you to give birth feeling confident and well-cared for. Your birth story will be unique; we want to help make it as special and memorable as possible.